The second happy accident with the collar is that when my husband tried it on yesterday we found that it was too tight to ever be buttoned at the top, now neither of us were too bothered by this as again the shirt is casual and will always be worn with the top button open. However, it's nice to get it right. As I had already trimmed the seam down to 1cm where the shirt joins the collar stand I decided that rather than doing the same to the collar stand piece I would continue as usual with a 1.5cm seam allowance. This way the collar is a tiny bit looser, but just enough so that it can be button comfortably. They say that you learn best from your mistakes and today has been one of those days.
I have now finished the shirt except for the buttons, our local town has a small fabric shop with a limited selection of button but Tuesday is market day and there is a regular stall with a larger selection of buttons so I thought I'd wait until tomorrow.
In the meantime have a look at the work in progress, I'd love to know what you think.
This is the 'Elvis' collar version, not particularly massive, but I want this shirt to be worn and it wasn't going to be.
Redrafted collar piece, I chose not to bother with separate upper and under collar pieces and just used the iron to ensure that the seam fell to the under collar.
Elvis has left the building - the new smaller collar
Just the buttons left to do, I might make the sleeves a bit narrower next time.
I'm pleased with how the cuffs turned out, I made a bit of a mistake with the placket and made it too long but I think I can get away with it.