Friday 22 March 2013

What do you listen to while you sew?




For me my time sewing is an audio visual experience, the visual part is the challenge and the audio part is my treat.

I mostly sew while my children are at school and my husband is at work, so apart from the dog and the guinea pig it's just me.  Now I'm ok with silence, it used to be a scarce resource when the children were younger, but now they're often all plugged into something or another so I don't need to grab every moment of peace.  What I love to do more than anything in the world is listen to BBC Radio 4.  Thank goodness for BBC I-player.  If I'm a bit fed up I'll choose a comedy I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue is guaranteed to make me laugh out loud and the dog to give me 'what on earth is she doing' looks.

Dobby the Dog
Most of the time though I'll listen to a drama or play, this week it's been the totally brilliant No1 Ladies Detective Agency.  Being the BBC there are brilliant period dramas, contemporary plays and some really surreal programmes, it's like having an amazing actor sitting next to you reading a bedtime story - what's not to love?

I've never tried listening to music while sewing, somehow I think it would feel disjointed if the rhythm of the music was at odds with the rhythm of your sewing, but as I haven't tried it maybe I'm wrong.  As I'm fortunate enough to have an i-pad (very handy with the online Craftsy class) I have been known to 'watch' a tv programme at the same time as sewing.  By which I don't really mean watch, more like listen so it needs to be something you're not really all that bothered about.  I've found this is perfect for those guilty pleasure programmes especially the ones the husband can't stand.  Think Real Housewives of Wherever or The Only Way Is Essex (if you're not in the UK, it's ghastly but irresistible).

So, I wonder what you listen to while you sew?  Music? Silence? or are you literally on the kitchen table with all family life going on around you, I'd love to know.

1 comment:

  1. I ordinarily listen to Pandora, then when it stops from me being inactive, I generally don't realize it for half an hour or so, depending on how focused I am. :) Don't watch much TV, but occasionally will listen to some old episodes of Roseanne.

    ReplyDelete